Phone 028 90 420 145


First a short potted history  (FAQs Below) 

The Ulster Defence Regiment (UDR) existed between 1970 and 1992 as a locally recruited Army Regiment providing direct military support to the police in Northern Ireland during Op BANNER, colloquially known as The Troubles.  It was the largest infantry unit with eleven battalions at its peak.  Initially mostly a part-time force, its numbers grew and the proportion of full-time soldiers gradually exceeded that of part-time, although both worked side by side as complete sub-units.  Full-Time soldiers (known as Permanent Cadre) served on full career terms and conditions of service and contributed to a Service pension.  Part-Time soldiers served on gratuity-earning terms and conditions and, assuming they met the requirements for a Certificate of Efficiency each year, were paid an annual tax-free bounty instead.  Female soldiers (known as Greenfinches) served in both Full Time and Part-time capacities.

As part of broader Army re-structuring, the UDR amalgamated with The Royal Irish Rangers in 1992 to form the new Royal Irish Regiment (R IRISH) which then consisted of General Service (GS) Battalions (conventional infantry), Home Service (HS) Battalions (serving only in Northern Ireland as part of Op BANNER and specialising in Counter-Terrorist/Counter-Insurgency roles) and Territorial Battalions, Reservists still known as RANGERS to differentiate them from other categories.  The Home Service still consisted of both Full Time and Part Time regular soldiers, who were designated HSFT and HSPT accordingly.

Only Full-Time soldiers of all categories contributed to an occupational pension-earning scheme which was payable after certain milestones had been reached or otherwise preserved until age 60.  (Some Full Time (Con Rate) soldiers in the early UDR years until 1975 did not join such a pension scheme.)  All categories of soldiers are, however, eligible to apply for compensation for injuries (physical and mental) attributed to or aggravated by their service.  Prior to 2005, the scheme is known as War Disablement Pension (WDP).  After 2005 it is the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS).


Click on an FAQ topic to reveal the relevant Q&A's

Answers to eligibility questions
Medical Support
Answers to Medical Questions
Financial Support
Financial Support questions
Pensions Advice
Answers to eligibility questions
Respite Support
Answers to questions about the respite and Families Group
General FAQs and Support
General questions and answers
• It should be noted that all applications for financial support from Benevolent Funds are subject to strict criteria set by their Trustees, underpinned by their Funds' legal requirements. Aftercare Service caseworkers will provide advice and guidance on all welfare issues and can assist in completing applications. (We routinely defer to expertise from Veterans Welfare Service of Veterans UK in the case of pensions, WDP and AFCS.) Acting as the conduit for Benevolence support, caseworkers will ask clients to provide personal details and financial records which are required by Trustees to make their informed decisions. These may take the form of bank statements, invoices and estimates for services. Applicants should be aware of this requirement when seeking financial assistance.

Have a question that is not answered? if so please contact us and we will endeavour to answer it.

Contact Us

Need Help?

Contact us for practical help, welfare advice or medical services

Regional Field Teams

North (Coleraine Area)

028 92 260 615

South (Portadown Area)

028 92 260 044

East (Holywood Area)

028 90 420 266

West (Enniskillen Area)

028 92 260 114
"Helping our people in need to live their lives"